Sunday, September 26, 2010

Kipling series

A few weeks ago, I started several pieces bringing together images from some cool East Indian comic books and pieces of Rudyard Kipling. I took the comic books into my office and asked an Indian friend of mine about them. When she saw them, she practically shreiked with delight. "These are great comic books from my childhood. They are all about Indian folk heroes, mystics, gurus, and saints. Imagine comic books about George Washington and Martin Luther King" she said. They are used the help Indian school children learn about their history. She remarked "they are awfully violent though." I have four of them, all circa 1977 or so. The illustrations are done with rich, bold colors - warm golden yellows, deep purples, and blues that range from cyan to cobalt. I've paired them with scraps of Rudyard Kipling's writings from an old text titled "Maugham's Choice of Kipling's Best." It's a collection of Kipling wirtings as selected by Somerset Maugham. Using base pieces of oak and walnut stair treads, I've built up from there. This is the first piece. I'm not sure whether I really like it or not... it still feels like it's missing something. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Maybe wrap some wire around the outside edge of the piece, around the sides? It'd help bring emphasis toward the 3D nature of what you're doing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting that you mentioned that ktc, I had the wire all measured out to do that and chickened out at the last minute... but this weekend I found some amazing vintage electric wire with a wonderful reddish color coating, that might just work. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete