Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Picture holders 1

On Monday, we finally got a stretch of warm sunny weather and I ripped apart sseveral pieces of stair treads to create some new picture holders. Several buyers have requested larger picture holders than what I'd had recently sold on my site, so I put the Romeo & Juliet headboard on the back burner for a day and started these frames/holders. (And yes, I still got a lot done on the headboard!)

The picture holders begin with large stair treads (the big wooden piece that you actually step on in a staircase) that were rejected for any number of reasons, but most often because the unusual grain pattern in one doesn't match the other 14 in the package. I have A LOT of pieces of treads in all sorts of wood; everything from red and white oak to fir, brazilian cherry, and something from South America called ipe (pronounced e-pay). The process begins with a template for a photo. People asked for larger frames, so I found a wonderful vintage picture of my Grandfather and Grandmother from January 1965.  I like using this picture of my grandparents, I like to think my Grandfather's spirit (he was carpenter) is a part of the process. Oddly, my grandfather is my current age in this picture. The photo measures 3.5 inches square. I made a little paper template that size.

I took the paper template to my wood pile and pulled out about 20 pieces of tread. Since I'm working on the Shakespeare pieces, I sort of cheated and went the easiest route. I picked pieces of tread that would need minimal trimming and sanding. That narrowed my pile down to about 12 good pieces. I pulled out my table saw and miter box. The table saw is used to rip the larger pieces into managable smaller pieces. The miter box trims the managable pieces into nice square or rectangular shapes. This shaping process narrowed my pile down to a select 8 pieces.

Finally, I selected the rails for the frames. The rails are the little beveled wood pieces that actually hold the picture to the tread. Again, I had A LOT of strips of interesting wood to pick from - these strips of wood are usually scrap pieces of flooring used to separate and protect finer-grade molding in shipment. I eye-balled several little strips and chopped them down with the miter box. I chose some larger strips to decoupage with images and some finer wood to leave is more natural state.

Pictured are some initial layouts. This week I will determine what images to cover which pieces. I'm thinking about changing it up a little this time and decoupaging the tread, while leaving the rails natural. I have some wonderful vintage materials to use including a driving guide to France from 1955 (also used in the Indochine artwork), a great map of San Francisco from the 70s, a wonderful book in German with cool illustrations, a zillion odd old stamps, and a great old book of music. More coming soon...

2 comments:

  1. Frank, You are so disciplined. I love to write, but am having trouble getting back to my blog.

    In any case, I have a wonderful old weathered picnic table that must go, parts of which you could put to great, artistic use. Please send a truck to Provincetown. If I win the lottery in the next day, I'll send it.

    Love that you are so devoted to your grandparents. So sweet. I have a neighbor who has a (hard to believe) beautiful, very detailed portrait of his grandparents tatooed on his chest and torso. You have to see it to know that it is gorgeous. Black and white, like the photo it copied. They look like they just got off the boat from Italy, and it is truly thrilling. He's a hunk, too. I almost fainted the first time I saw him shirtless going out to pick up the mail. Isn't life fascinating? Keep up your great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Disciplined. Funny - I'd never call myself that, but maybe you're right. Writing is probably my first passion (that's why I'm in marketing) and maybe I need to incorporate my own words into a piece or two. Hmmm...

    If you win the lottery, please send me a ticket to P-town. I'll hang out with you in your luxurious new place until the conference in Boston! We'll see plenty of tattoos and get a couple ourselves!:)

    That said, while I love my grandparents, I can't imagine a tattoo of them, no matter how sleek and sexy my bod was. I've been contemplating a tattoo for too long now, I think this summer or next, something big and bold across my back. Life is ineed fascinating.

    ReplyDelete